The researches of the U3A ‘Graveyard Project’ have brought to light a rather sad and previously unknown tale. In the south-east corner of the Ancient Graveyard in an area covered in recent years by a compost heap, were the graves of 13 infants (nine boys and four girls) who died between 1839 and 1843, the first four years after the graveyard was opened.
They were buried in chronological order, starting at the road end. Seven of the infants were less than a week old and the oldest was 2 years old.
This has now inspired a new and ongoing project to mark the graves and to create a permanent memorial area – a place of peace where the loss of a child can be remembered.